Green Clean of Avalon

Our Facebook Page~check us out!

We are active on Facebook and have a few recommendations on there from our valued customers! Check us out! We love it if you added us.

The Hazards of Household Cleaning Products

I never realized how dangerous & toxic household chemicals could be. One day I was at a clients house when I was asked to use a harsh Toilet Bown cleaner instead of what I normally use. I was trying to clean quickly and in a hurry I decided to use the toilet bowl cleaner and Comet to clean the very dirty tub.....BIG caused a chemical reaction that was very toxic to my breathing.

This reaction made Chlorine gas, a very toxic & dangerous chemical. I had been using natural green products to clean my clients house and on this certain day she had ask that I use a very common toilet bowl cleaner with bleach. I decided to use it along with Comet.  Almost immediately, I noticed the harsh-ness of this chemical.

I felt light headed & had problems breathing. I was not able to finish cleaning the tub for at least an hour & had to air out the bathroom before continuing. This mistake caused me to reevaluate the chemicals I used to clean that day (which I don't normally use). I began to do some research and am presenting some of the findings to you now! :)

~Katy~ Owner of Green Clean of Avalon


 Wordpress Blog


From Wikipedia 


is the chemical element with atomic number 17 and symbol Cl. It is a halogen, found in the periodic table in group 17. As the chloride ion, which is part of common salt and other compounds, it is abundant in nature and necessary to most forms of life, including humans. In its elemental form (Cl2 or "dichlorine") under standard conditions, chlorine is a powerful oxidant and is used in bleaching and disinfectants, as well as an essential reagent in the chemical industry.As a common disinfectant, chlorine compounds are used in swimming pools to keep them clean and sanitary. In the upper atmosphere, chlorine-containing molecules such as chlorofluorocarbons have been implicated in ozone depletion.

Chlorine is a toxic gas that irritates the respiratory system. Because it is heavier than air, it tends to accumulate at the bottom of poorly ventilated spaces. Chlorine gas is a strong oxidizer, which may react with flammable materials.[33]

Chlorine is detectable in concentrations of as low as 0.2 ppm. Coughing and vomiting may occur at 30 ppm and lung damage at 60 ppm. About 1000 ppm can be fatal after a few deep breaths of the gas.[5] Breathing lower concentrations can aggravate the respiratory system, and exposure to the gas can irritate the eyes.[34] The toxicity of chlorine comes from its oxidizing power. When chlorine is inhaled at concentrations above 30 ppm, it begins to react with water and cells, which change it into hydrochloric acid (HCl) and hypochlorous acid (HClO).

When used at specified levels for water disinfection, the reaction of chlorine with water is not a major concern for human health. However, other materials present in the water may generate disinfection by-products that can damage human health


Chlorine Gas

1:1 ratio (by volume) of:

    * Household Ammonia
    * CHLORINE bleach (not chlorine free)

Chlorine gas is an extremely deadly gas which is EASY to make in your home. There’s a catch here: DON’T make it in your home. YOU CAN DIE.

I don’t know the EXACT chemical reaction that occurs, but the ammonia and the bleach bond to form Chlorine gas. Anyone who breathes this gas will either get very sick, and require hospitalization, or they can die.

  • "So who doesn't have glass cleaner and bleach in their home? Scary scary stuff!!!" ~Katy


March 31, 2011

  • According to Poison Control, dish-washing detergent accounts for more accidental poisonings than any other household substance. Dandruff shampoo, if swallowed, causes vital organs to degenerate. Household ammonia, when mixed with bleach is a deadly substance (chlorine gas). Bug spray can remain active and airborne in your home for up to 30 years.

  • Certain ingredients in cleaning products can present hazard concerns to exposed populations (e.g., skin and eye irritation in workers) or toxicity to aquatic species in waters receiving inadequately treated wastes (note that standard sewage treatment effectively reduces or removes most cleaning product constituents). For example, alkylphenol ethoxylates, a common surfactant ingredient in cleaners, have been shown in laboratory studies to function as an "endocrine disruptor," causing adverse reproductive effects of the types seen in wildlife exposed to polluted waters.

  • Ingredients containing phosphorus or nitrogen can contribute to nutrient-loading in water bodies, leading to adverse effects on water quality.


April 20, 2011

Do not mix bleach & ammonia. Do not mix bleach and acids. Do not use two drain cleaners together, or one right after the other.

Although ammonia is a chemical that occurs naturally in the environment and within our own bodies, it is possible to experience ammonia poisoning especially if a person is exposed to concentrated ammonia.

Ammonia products: glass & window cleaners, urine (animal or human), some interior & exterior paints, fertilizers, smelling salts, water purifier,

Acid products: vinegar, dishwasher detergents & rinses, toilet bowl cleaners, drain cleaner, lime-away, lime, calcium or rust removal products, brick & concrete cleaners

Bleach products,  also called chlorine bleach. Chemical name is Sodium Hypochlorite it's the active ingredient in chlorine bleach. It is found in household bleach and many other disinfectants. Bleach reacts with ammonia, drain cleaners, and other acids. Pool chemicals contain bleach (calcium hypochlorite or sodium hypochlorite) and should not be mixed with household cleaners.

Mixing bleach & other cleaning products will also cause a reaction: bleach reacts with some oven cleaners, hydrogen peroxide & some insecticides (all toxic to the environment)

Mixing bleach & acids = makes chlorine gas!!!! High levels of mixing can cause death!

Chlorine gas irritates mucous membranes, causes coughing and breathing problems. Higher levels of exposure can cause chest pain & more severe breathing difficulties like vomiting, pneumonia & fluid buildup in the lungs. Very high levels can cause death.

Chlorine is a gas & can be absorbed through the skin. This results in pain, inflammation, swelling and blistering. It can also cause burns to the skin, eyes, nose, throat, mouth and lungs.

So  when I used the toilet bowl cleaner w/ bleach (acid & bleach) & Comet what happened? It wasn't the comet that caused the reaction. It was cleaning the tub with toilet bowl cleaner with bleach & ammonia…duh. Can't believe they use those chemicals together? Ammonia is harsh enough!

What is Comet? A powdered cleaning product with 1.2% sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dehydrate ( a derivative of cyanuric acid & 98.9% other ingredients.

So what is Cyanuric Acid? It is a chemical compound with the formula CNOH3. It is used in many industrial chemicals and is a triazine. It is white and odorless solid and is used in bleaches, disinfections and herbicides.

So is it safe? It is essentially non-toxic but when administered with melamine, they may form insoluble crystals leading to the formation of kidney stones, kidney failure or death. So what is melamine? It is an organic base and a trimer of cyanamide. It was created by German chemist Justus von Liegig in 1834. Melamine is described as being harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Chronic exposure can cause cancer or reproductive damage. Scientist explained that when melamine & cyanuric acid are absorbed into the bloodstream, they concentrate and interact with the renal microtubules in the kidneys then crystallize and form a large number of round, yellow crystals which then block and damage the renal cells that line the tubes of the kidney, causing it to malfunction.  Main chemical household products that have melamine: comet & pesticides for your garden. Do not ingest these chemicals or you could die. 

 In Conclusion

So, as you can see, using household "normal" cleaners is very harmful for the environment and yourself. The cleaning supply makers do not tell you just how harmful they are as they are trying to make money. It is up to the consumer to be educated and know exactly what they are using. Read the cleaning labels as you would food labels and find out what exactly you are using. You might be surprised to find out what chemicals are being used. If you can take away anything from this data, I would like people to know the dangers of mixing bleach with ammonia. These are used a lot when cleaning. Ammonia is in glass & window cleaners, urine, paints, fertilizers, smelling salts & used as a water purifier.  Bleach is used in household bleach and many other cleaning products.  Acid products to use caution with are vinegar, Comet, dishwasher detergents & rinses, toilet bowl cleaners, drain cleaners, lime-away cleaners, calcium or rust removal cleaners, brick & concrete cleaners, and the list goes on.  Whatever you do, don't mix these chemicals together or by accident (in my case). The results can be very harmful & you will get sick. I hope this information has been helpful to you, it has been very eye opening learning about these products & the hazards associated with them to myself & the world I live in.

 In Conclusion, I use mainly Shaklee's products to clean my homes. I feel safe with these products and they are mild & non irritating to my customers who have allergies. Sometime a clean home can smell like nothing at all & be extremely clean! Whoa! Who would of thought?